Posted by : Unknown Sunday, April 24, 2016


Now that I've had a few days to actually experience my HTC Vive, I wanted to take a few minutes to give some first impressions.  Setup was easy to follow, but did take a while.  I mounted the room sensors in my bedroom where I have about 6.5 x 10 feet of clear space...which luckily just fit the minimum dimensions after the tests.  Eventually, I'll move it into a larger space.

All of my experiences so far have used Room Scale, which allows you to move freely in the space you've allocated.  The first type is what I'd call a passive VR Experience, like The Blu, where the scenario is happening around you and you get to be in the middle of it.  None of my actions affect what is happening, but it is a very impressive way to experience something.


Where the Vive REALLY shines is in the active VR experience, like the Budget Cuts Demo, where your actions are integral to the experience.  It is impossible to describe what this is like without experiencing it.  As I played this demo, which is a stealth game, I had to peak around a corner to see an enemy.  So, I literally, physically leaned around and looked.  It's so natural and makes you feel completely like you are in that world.  Check out the video of my son to see just how immersive it can be.

All of this amazing aside, it does get tiring using Room Scale for extended periods.  Something I have not experienced it is sitting in my chair and playing something from a cockpit or FPS perspective.  I'm told that Dying Light has this option and I'll likely pickup Elite Dangerous soon...but I'd love to hear some suggestions on what to play :)  I plan to do posts about individual games as I spend time with them, so check back for those soon!

You should follow me on Twitter and FacebookYou can also subscribe via RSS or email.  Please support the blog by doing your Amazon.com purchases through this link.

See other Currently Playing posts

Welcome to My Blog

Current Workout Program

Goodreads


Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Fatherhood, Video Games, and Ice Cream -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -