Posted by : Unknown Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One of the main reasons we moved to Illinois was to be closer to family.  Since my wife's sister planned a birthday party on Labor Day weekend for our nephew Braeden, we were able go.  I thought this a great opportunity to take a ton of pictures and get extra practice doing portrait style shots.  I shot all of these using my Canon Rebel T3i and an 18-55mm f/3.5 lens.

The party was at a local park and Kian had a ton of play equipment to mess around on.  I spent the first bit taking pictures of him using the portrait and action mode settings on the camera. I didn't get him centered perfectly, but this shot that has quickly become one of my favorites of him.

Once I began taking pics in the covered area of the party, I found the automatic settings struggling with the lower light level combined with the bright sun at the edges.  It would often take a very dark photo, so I switched to Manual mode and shot the rest of the day with just the ISO running auto.

This photo was taken at f/5.6 with 1/400 and the auto ISO 2000.  I like the framing of the shot and the angle I used, but it feels a little bright to me...especially in the background.

I decided to take another one and this time the ISO corrected to 1250 and gives a much richer feel.  The background isn't nearly as jarring because of the brightness and the photo seems to have a more cohesive feel overall.  Not to mention, I caught Braeden smilling for this one.  I do wish I had used the same angle though for a more creative shot.

Once it was cake time, I decided to get right front and center and kneel down to get an interesting angle on the shots.  On this first shot, I decided to focus in on the cake and keep them slightly out of focus just behind it. I like the creative look that came out of it.

This time I changed the focus over to the happy family and got a shot that I really like.  Both of these were taken at f/5.6 with 1/400 and the ISO at 320.

I told the kids I was gonna take some pics of them and they immediately went into this pose on their own.  I thought that was pretty funny, but they seem to be a creative bunch.  This has the same settings as before except the ISO was at 100.

I also feel it necessary to show this pic of my beautiful wife :) I really like the angle I took it at since the left edge of the frame is parallel to her arm and head.  I feel like it makes the shot feel even while the background is sitting at a creative angle.

I'm really pleased with how the shots turned out, but its still just me going off my gut and what I like.  I'm still learning what is involved in getting a correct and creative shot.  One thing I am finding is that I almost always prefer to shoot from below what i'm photographing.  That somehow feels most right to me.  Thought or opinions?

You should follow me on Twitter and FacebookYou can also subscribe via RSS or email.  Please support the blog by doing your Amazon.com purchases through this link.

See other Photography posts

Welcome to My Blog

Current Workout Program

Goodreads


Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Fatherhood, Video Games, and Ice Cream -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -