Posted by : Unknown Thursday, April 13, 2006

I experienced something last night that altered my view on tutorials a bit.


When I loaded up BF2 on the 360 for the first time, I started in the campaign mode as I normally do with a new game. I expected the first mission to be a full on tutorial that would teach me to play the game.

To my surprise, it told me my objectives and then placed me in the world. No teaching. I was forced to experiment with the controls and figure out how to play the game on my own. I thought this would be frustrating at first, but quickly realized that since I was forced to figure the things out on my own...I was becoming comfortable with the controls easier.

The level was VERY forgiving and gave me plenty of time to figure things out while I took very little damage from the enemies. They mainly focused on my allies until I was comfortable enough to attack them and start dwindling their numbers.

In the end, I found that I played more levels of this game in my first outing than I EVER have in a first person shooter.

I think tutorials with complex control schemes are a bit intimidating to me, and when I'm taught every little detail I feel that I have to learn them all to be successful. With this method, I learn to use things as I need them and I can play at my own pace.

Welcome to My Blog

Current Workout Program

Goodreads


Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Fatherhood, Video Games, and Ice Cream -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -