Posted by : Unknown Sunday, October 16, 2011

I've been playing racing games since I was a kid...with Rad Racer on the NES being the first one that absorbed all of my free time.  I got really good at them over the years, but around the time that Gran Turismo came out they got too complicated for me to enjoy anymore.  In recent years, I would try out a new racing game for an hour or so and then move on to something else.

When Forza 4 was released, my buddy handed it to me on its release day and said he didn't need it until the weekend...so I decided to give it a go.  Since these games have gotten so complicated, I decided to do a test in usability with it and see just how well it would teach me if I only did what it prompted me to do.

The game did a really good job of letting me know what it's about from the beginning and then went over what the first set of races are that i'm competing in.  I then was able to choose a starter vehicle and since I only drive Chevrolet...i went with the Chevy Spark.  The only choice I could make was the color and then we were heading to my first test lap.

All I ever HAD to do was press A and the game would keep moving me through to the next race or challenge. This was really nice since I didn't want to have to deal with extra customization and wanted to see how the game plays at a basic level.  When we proceeded to challenge races, like one where you knock down bowling pins, it gave a good description but then took me right in.

After every couple of races I would get to choose a new vehicle as a reward, but with my method of pressing A to continue...I was never forced to use anything but my Spark.  When it came to a race where my Spark wasn't powerful enough, it automatically took me to the upgrade screen and said Press A to Auto Upgrade.  Nice!  So I just kept on racing easily.

After one race, I was given the option of a classic Corvette reward...now I was ready to break my mold and go change to the new vehicle.  Once I did this though, I went right back to continually pressing A and found that the game did a fantastic job of keeping me moving along easily.

I'm sure I missed out on a ton of options and upgrades by playing this way, but I wanted to see if it would allow me to play at my own pace and learn new things as I wanted to or needed them.  For the races, all I had to do was hold down RT and steer...it did all the downshifting in turns for me so I didn't even have to use the break.  I had a lot of fun playing it and may actually pick it up to continue once the holiday flood of games is over.


You should follow me on Twitter and FacebookYou can also subscribe via RSS or email.  Please support the blog by doing your Amazon.com purchases through this link.

See other Currently Playing posts

4 Responses so far.

  1. Terry says:

    Does there happen to be co-op Split Screen options available? My son loves to play racing games with me and Forza 4 was one I was looking at.

  2. Forza IV is also my favorite game, i think that it is interesting to play this game with friends/colleague as challenge. It may be allow split screen option.

  3. Mostly I am playing action and racing games. In racing game I give first preference to NFS and second one is Forza. I like to play it also.

  4. Forza is one of teh best racing ever. The perfect driving experience stunning visual effects to sound great success. There are some good improvements saw in Forza 3 to 4.

Welcome to My Blog

Current Workout Program

Goodreads


Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Fatherhood, Video Games, and Ice Cream -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -