Posted by : Unknown Monday, January 30, 2006

I've had several people ask me over the years why, if Gandalf is so powerful, did he not do more to stop Sauron himself. Also, how many other wizards are there?

I recently came across an explanation that does a better job than I have:

"The Istari were five beings send to Middle-earth to unite and counsel the Free Peoples in their sturggles against Sauron. They were forbidden to dominate the peoples of Middle-earth or to match Sauron's power with power. When Saruman, the greatest of the wizards, disobeyed his injuction, he was cast from the order and banished from Valinor."

Valinor was the palce to the west where the Elves, Gandalf, Frodo, and Bilbo took the boat towards at the end.

as a side note...the other three wizards were named Radagast(who was corrupted by the lure of nature) Pollando, and Alatar. Little is known of Pollando and Alatar.

All 3 were believed to have returned to the West as well.

ok...thats enough nerdom for now.

2 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    The geekometer is going crazy! Picking up very strong readings.

    ;)

  2. Anonymous says:

    Wow - I like the movies, but I can say that I don't think I know quite that much about them! HA! Very interested to read about though - thanks =)

Welcome to My Blog

Current Workout Program

Goodreads


Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Fatherhood, Video Games, and Ice Cream -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -